Project Title: Improvement of psychosocial support for the LGBT community in Mostar and Banja Luka
Psychological support center Sensus
Huse Maslića 2a, 88 000 Mostar, Bosna i Hercegovina
Phone/Fax: 061 547 626
Contact person: Maida Bešo, email@example.com
LIR Civil Society (LIR CS)
Kralja Petra II no. 9, 78 000 Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Phone/Fax: +387 65 538 216, 051 926 260
Contact person: Biljana Zgonjanin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Implementation Period: 1.12.2023 – 4.10.2024.
Project amount: 99.996 BAM
Geographical area: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Globally, studies show that LGBTQI people seek treatment for mental health more than non-LGBTQI people. Study about needs and problems of LGBTQI people in Bosnia and Herzegovina that was done by Sarajevo open center in 2017 showed that discrimination of LGBTQI people caused severe psychological difficulties or crisis for more than 50% of the population. Regarding the institutions and organizations that provide psychological support, Bosnia and Herzegovina doesn’t have a strategy to insure suitable and available services for LGBTQI people, or trainings on working with LGBTQI population to diminish discrimination based on sex or sexual orientation.
The project envisages meetings with representatives of institutions and CSOs with the goal to establish inter-sectoral cooperation to insure suitable and available psychosocial services for LGBTQI people. The project will be presented at meetings, while psychologists, psychotherapists and other mental health experts who work with LGBTQI population will be presented with an opportunity to partake in planned educations. More inclusive and sensible approach to LGBTQI population, as a potential users of services provided by certain institutions/organizations, will be advocated for in these meetings. Conclusions made at these meetings, as well as examples of a good practice and guidelines for organizations/institutions, will be included in Methodology of work of a free psychological counseling center that will be established within this project, and the implementers will be leader applicant and co-applicant.
Also, a public campaign directed towards general population as well as towards LGBTQI population in Bosnia and Herzegovina, with a goal to raise awareness of public in Mostar and Banja Luka on the anti-discriminatory approach towards LGBTQI population, will be organized in the two years implementation period.
Creating social surroundings where LGBTQI people are enabled to access mental health protection systems that provide inclusive and sensible services.
1. To strengthen the capacities of institutions and CSOs for providing psychological support to LGBTQI people in Mostar and Banja Luka;
2. To raise public awareness about the importance of anti-discriminatory approach towards the LGBTQI community in Mostar and Banja Luka.
Final beneficiaries: The project is focused on two main final beneficiaries:
1. Civil Society Organizations that provide psychological support and CSOs that work directly with LGBTQI community;
2. Mental health centres and Social welfare centres in Mostar and Banja Luka;
3. Students of the fifth year, Department of psychology, University “Džemal Bijedić”, Mostar;
4. LGBTQI population that will use free counselling services in Mostar and Banja Luka;
5. Citizens that will be included in the project activities through different media outlets.
1. At least 10 representatives from 2 CSOs in Mostar and Banja Luka, 2. 10 representatives of Social welfare centres and Mental health centres from Mostar and Banja Luka, 3. 30 students, 4. At least 20 LGBTQI people that will use free psychological counselling in Banja Luka and Mostar, and 5. At least 5000 citizens that will be included in the project activities through different media outlets.
Project activities: The action is consisted of clusters – directions of intervention:
1.1.1. Creation and implementation of education for psychologists, psychotherapists and other mental health experts;
1.1.2. Creation and implementation of education for students of Psychology from the University “Džemal Bijedić” in Mostar, as part of the professional practice on the topic “Counselling and psychosocial support in work with LGBTQI people;
2.1.1. Organization of the first public campaign, aimed at general population;
2.1.2. Creating visual identity of the first public campaign;
2.1.3. Creation of three videos and published;
2.2.1. Organization of the second public campaign, aimed at the LGBTQI population;
2.2.2. Creating visual identity of the second public campaign;
2.2.3. Creating and publishing six articles on the importance of understanding mental health protection within the LGBTQI community;
2.2.4. Creating and publishing three videos on the importance of understanding mental health protection within LGBTQI community.
R1. Improved skills of mental health practitioners to work with LGBTQI people.
R2. Increased availability of psychological support services for LGBTQI people.
R3. Citizens of Mostar and Banja Luka informed about the anti-discriminatory approach towards the LGBTQI community.
R4. Members of the LGBTQI community in Mostar and Banja Luka informed about their rights in the field of mental health.